Paediatric Neurology is Emerging as a new Speciality in India.
Historically, children with neurological conditions were treated either by paediatricians or adult neurologists. Increasing understanding of the disease, knowledge and advance in technology with new diagnostic, research techniques and treatment procedures over the last few decades, have made specialisation in certain aspects of paediatrics a necessity.
It is now well recognised that neurological conditions in children are very different in nature than in adults, and need to be evaluated and managed with a different approach.
A paediatric neurologist is a general paediatrician, who in addition to knowing children has a specialised knowledge of the anatomy, physiology and pathology of the nervous system. The paediatric neurologist knows enough about the systemic diseases in the paediatric age group, the peculiarities of the maturing brain, normal and abnormal development in children and the psychosocial aspects of sick children and their parents. The care of children will be shared between the primary paediatrician and the specialist.
Paediatric neurology concerns not only with Cerebral palsy and learning difficulties, but also with other neurological disorders in children. Paediatric neurologists diagnose, treat, and manage the following conditions from birth until 16 years:
- Weakness, including cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and nerve muscle disorders
- Developmental disorders, including delayed speech, motor milestones, and coordination issues
- Seizure disorders, including seizures in newborns, febrile convulsions and epilepsy
- Medical aspects of head injuries and brain tumours
- Headaches, including migraine
- Behavioral disorders, including attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), school failure and sleep problems
- Learning Difficulties
- Any other ante-nataly detected problems concerning neurology
Services offered at Apollo :
Rehabilitation Services :
Rehabilitation department is fully operational, well structured and equipped with state of the art facilities and offers the following services.
- Botulinum toxin injection therapy for spasticity
- Occupational therapy
- Speech and language therapy
- Screening Methods
- Treating Hearing problems with hearing Aids and cochlear implants
- Rehabilitation of Hearing Impaired Children.
- 64 slice Spiral CT and CT angiogram
- MRI, MR angiography, MR spectroscopy, Functional MRI
- SPECT and nuclear scanning
- PET scan
- Digital substraction angiography
- Carotid and intra cranial Doppler
- Nerve conduction studies
- Needle and surface Electromyography
- Repetitive nerve stimulation tests
- Single fiber EMG
- Flash and Pattern reversal VEP
- Therapeutic antiepileptic drug level monitoring
- Comprehensive investigation facilities for neuroinfective / neurodegenerative/ metabolic/Genetic/ mitochondrial conditions in collaboration with CCMB and other renowned laboratories across India.
- Brain , Muscle, Nerve, Biopsy .