Awards and Achievements
- 15 years of experience in taking care of all aspects of congenital heart diseases in children and adults and acquired heart diseases in children. Vast experience in Congenital heart disease imaging and structural heart interventions.
- Expert in fetal echocardiography and functions as Consultant perinatal Cardiologist in Fetal medicine divisions of various hospitals.
- Founder, AP Pediatric Cardiac Network, Hyderabad
- 15 years of experience in teaching /mentoring students, MD’s, fellows and staff
- Invited speaker for several local, regional, national conferences
- Developed several Course/curriculum development material
- Several peer reviewed publications
- Conducted several conferences & workshops
- Took part in several clinical trials and received funding for research
- Global health care: volunteer staff cardiologist for Medical mission trip to the Dominican Republic, Feb 2007
- Conducted free Medical camp in Mayapur, India, June 2008
- Conduct heart camps in rural areas of India 2010-present
- Editorial Board Member: Synopsis, A current Survey of World Literature in Pediatrics
- Review of Manuscripts:
- Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Pacing and Clinical Electrophysiology
- Cardiology in the Young
- Wayne State University School of Medicine Teaching Award 2007
- Physician’s Recognition Award, American Medical association (2004-2007)
- The American Heart Association/ Wyeth-Ayerst Women in Cardiology Travel Grant Award (2002)
- Finalist, Wolf Zuelzer research award, 2001
- Certificate of Distinction for outstanding performance in Pathology and Ophthalmology in Medical School.
- Best Outgoing Student Award in College
- Best Outgoing Student Award in High School
Research and Publications
- Antenatal diagnosis of idiopathic arterial calcification with hydrops fetalis. Agrawal G, Chintala K. Eur Heart J Cardiovasc Imaging. 2015 Jul;16(7):816. doi: 10.1093/ehjci/jev073. Epub 2015 Apr 6. No abstract available.
- Atrial baffle problems following the mustard operation in children and young adults with dextro-transposition of the great arteries: the need for improved clinical detection in the current era. Patel S, Shah D, Chintala K, Karpawich PP. Congenit Heart Dis. 2011 Sep;6(5):466-74. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-0803.2011.00532.x. Epub 2011 Jun 22.
- Postprocedural outcomes of rural children undergoing correction of congenital heart lesions in Yunnan Province, China. Ho TC, Ouyang H, Lu Y, Young AH, Chintala K, Detrano RC. Pediatr Cardiol. 2011 Aug;32(6):811-4. Epub 2011 Apr 11.
- Electrocardiographic strain pattern in children with left ventricular hypertrophy: a marker of ventricular dysfunction. Shah N, Chintala K, Aggarwal S. Pediatr Cardiol. 2010 Aug;31(6):800-6. Epub 2010 Apr 27.
- Efect of aerosolized PGE1 on ductus arteriosus of neonatal swine. Sood BG, Chintala K, Wykes S, Gurczynski J, Chen X, Rabah R. Prostaglandins Other Lipid Mediat. 2009 Nov;90(1-2):49-54. Epub 2009 Aug 15.
- Chintala K, Tian Z, Du W, Donaghue D, Rychik J. Fetal Pulmonary Venous Doppler Patterns in Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome : Relationship to Atrial Septal Restriction. *Heart 2008 Nov;94(11):1446-9. (*one of the premier journals of our discipline)
- Chintala K, Epstein ML, Singh TP. Longitudinal Changes in Heart rate-corrected Measures of Exercise Performance in Children. Pediatr Cardiol. 2008 Jan;29(1):60-4.
- Chintala K, Forbes TJ, Karpawich PP. Effectiveness of transvenous pacemaker leads placed through intravascular stents in patients with congenital heart disease.Am J Cardiol. 2005 Feb 1;95(3):424-7.
- Goncalves LF, Romero R, Espinoza J, Lee W, Treadwell M, Chintala K, Chaiworapongsa T. Four-dimensional ultrasonography of the fetal heart using color Doppler spatiotemporal image correlation. J Ultrasound Med. 2004 Apr;23(4):473-81.( implementation, manuscript writing)
- Chintala K, Turner DR, Leaman S*, Rodriguez-Cruz E, Wynne J, Greenbaum A, Forbes TJ. Use of balloon pull-through technique to assist in CardioSEAL device closure of patent foramen ovale. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2003;60:101-106
- Transcatheter closure of ruptured sinus of Valsalva aneurysm in a pregnant woman Gaurav Agrawal (MD), Manoj Agarwal (MD, DM), Kavitha Chintala (MD, FACC, FASE) Aggarwal S, Chintala K. Journal of cardiology cases 2015
- Hemodynamic Effect of Fetal Supraventricular Tachycardia on the Unaffected Twin. Prenat Diagn. 2009 Mar;29(3):292-3.
- Aggarwal S, Chintala K, Humes AR. Sildenafil use in a symptomatic neonate with severe Ebstein’s anomaly of the tricuspid valve. Am J Perinatol. 2008 Feb;25(2):125-8. Epub 2007 Dec
- Chintala, K, Gurczynski, J, Aggarwal, S. Prenatal Diagnosis of Complete Atrioventricular Septal Defect with Truncus Arteriosus. Prenatal Diagnosis, 2007 Jun;27(6):560-2.
- Turner K 3rd, Ozaki M, Hayes D Jr, Harahsheh A*, Moltz K, Chintala K, Knazik S, Kamat D, Dunnigan D. Index of suspicion. Pediatr Rev. 2006 Jun;27(6):231-7.
- Stone D, Frattarelli DA, Karthikeyan S, Johnson YR, Chintala K. Altered Prostaglandin E(1) Dosage During Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation in a Newborn with Ductal-dependent Congenital Heart Disease. Pediatr Cardiol. 2006 Jun;27(3):360-363
- Chintala K, Bloom DA, Walters HL 3rd, Pettersen MD. Images in cardiology: Pericardial yolk sac tumor presenting as cardiac tamponade in a 21-month-old child. Clin Cardiol. 2004 Jul;27(7):411
- Mosieri J, Chintala K, Delius RE, Walters HL 3rd, Hakimi M. Abnormal origin of the right subclavian artery from the right pulmonary artery in a patient with D-transposition of the great vessels and left juxtaposition of the right atrial appendage: an unusual anatomical variant. J Card Surg. 2004 Jan-Feb;19(1):41-4
- Reddy SV*, Forbes TJ, Chintala, K. Cardiovascular involvement in Kawasaki Disease. Images Pediatr Cardiol 2005;23:1-19 (Invited)
- Chintala, K. Hypoplastic left heart syndrome with restrictive atrial septal defect: influence on cardiac transplantation. Pediatr Cardiol. 2004 Jul-Aug;25(4):429
- Chintala K, Tantengco MVT. Echocardiographic Assessment of Right Ventricular Function. Pediatric Ultrasound Today 2002; Number 4, Volume 7 (Invited)
- Co-author for Handbook on Blood Transfusion, ICH (India)
- Patel, S*, Chintala, K. Randomized Trial of Pulsed Corticosteroid therapy for Primary Treatment of Kawasaki Disease: Evidence Based Journal Review. Synopsis, Vol 10, number 1, March 2008
MBBS; MD/Residency Paediatrics; DM/Fellowship in Paediatric Cardiology; Additional training in fetal Cardiology,Additional training in Pulmonary Hypertension
- Chief Paediatric Cardiologist, Apollo Hospital
- Consultant Perinatal Cardiologist in Fetal medicine divisions of various hospitals.
- Ex-Assistant Professor, Fellowship Education Co-ordinator & Director fetal Cardiac program at Wayne State University, USA
Certifications & Professional Memberships
- Board Certified in Pediatric Cardiology, American Board of Pediatrics, Sub-Board of Pediatric Cardiology, Certificate No. 1760.
- Board certified in Paediatrics, American Board of Pediatrics
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics
- Fellow, American College of Cardiology
- Fellow, American Society of Echocardiography
- Member, American Heart Association
- Member, Women in Cardiology section, American College of Cardiology
- Member, Congenital Heart disease section, American College of Cardiology
- Member, Pulmonary Hypertension Physicians and Researchers, Pulmonary Hypertension Association
- Member, American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin
- Member, Pediatric Cardiac Society of India
- Member, Indian Academy of Pediatrics
- Member, Indian Society of Perinatology and Reproductive Biology
- Core Committee, Hyderabad chapter, Global Foundation for Ethics and Spirituality (GFESH)
- Member, Ethics Committee, Apollo Institute of Medical Sciences and Research
- Congenital heart disease Imaging
- Interventions in structural heart disease – device closure of holes, stenting blood vessels, balloon dilations etc
- Fetal Echocardiography and prenatal counseling
- Pulmonary hypertension
- MBBS- Gandhi Medical College, Osmania University, Hyderabad, 1986 – 1991
- MD, Niloufer Hospital, Hyderabad, 1992 – 1995
- Residency Paediatrics- Cook County Hospital, Chicago, ILLINOIS, USA, 1997 – 2000
- DM/Fellowship. Paediatric Cardiology- Children’s Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, MI.U Wayne state University, 2000 – 2003
- Additional training in fetal Cardiology- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, USA
- Additional training in Pulmonary Hypertension, Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital, USA