- MBBS and MS (General Surgery) Guntur Medical College
- M.Ch and DNB Cardiothoracic and Vascular surgery at Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore
Areas of Interests
1. Minimally invasive heart surgery (key hole heart surgery) including beating heart surgery
2. Minimal access mitral and aortic valve surgeries
3. Minimally invasive bypass surgery for multiple bypass grafts, video assisted thoracic surgery and robotics.
4. Heart and lung transplantation , Implantation of ventricular assist devices (VADs) and ventricular restoration surgeries
Certifications & Professional Memberships
- Life member in Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons
- Member of CTS Net – forum of cardiothoracic surgeons in the world
- Member of International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation, USA
- Member of Society of Thoracic Surgeons, USA
- Member of European Association of Thoracic Surgeons
- Founder Secretary of Heart Failure Society, India
- Life member of Cardiological Society of India
Detailed Work Experience
1. In Hyderabad, now he is practicing as Cardiothoracic,Transplant and Minimal Access Cardiac Surgeon at Apollo Hospitals,Jubilee hills
2. Before that he worked at Yashoda Hospitals, Secunderabad (2012-2015),
3. Global Hospitals (2003-2012)
4. Medicity Hospitals (1996-2003)
5. 1995-1996, he did Fellowship at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St Louis, USA, with Dr. Nicholas Kouchoukos and gained experience in the areas of redo coronary artery bypass surgery and aortic aneurysm surgeries and root repairs.
6. 1993 to 1995 he worked as a Fellow in cardiothoracic surgery at Westmead Hospital, Sydney.
7. 1992-93, he did fellowship in Heart Transplantation and Lung Transplantation at St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
8. NIMS (1990-92).
9. 1990 he was trained in cardiothoracic and vascular surgery at Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore, and obtained M.Ch and DNB degrees
10. (1976–1985) Dr.Alla Gopala Krishna Gokhale obtained his MBBS and MS (General Surgery) from Guntur Medical College, India
Awards & Achievements
1. Has the distinction of performing India’s 1st heart-kidneycombined transplant and performing heart transplant for a 69 year old person (oldest man to undergo heart transplant in India).
2. He is the 1st heart surgeon in India who did heart and lung transplantations successfully. Dr.Gokhale did the 1st successful heart transplant, 1st successful lung transplant and 1st successful implantation of ventricular assist device as bridge to recovery of heart in the states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
3. Dr.Gokhale did 14 heart transplants and 3 lung transplants and more than 10,000 open heart surgeries – adult as well as pediatric with a success rate of 98.4%.
4. Dr.Alla Gopala Krishna Gokhale has pioneered the art of Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery for those needing multiple bypass grafts (key hole bypass surgery), valve replacements and closure of holes in the heart.
5. Founder Secretary of Heart Failure Society, India, he is promoting the education of heart specialists in managing patients with heart failure.
Research & Publications
1. Conducting research on the role of injecting stem cells into the heart