Awards and Achievements
- Has the distinction of performing India’s 1st heart-kidneycombined transplant and performing heart transplant for a 69 year old person (oldest man to undergo heart transplant in India).
- He is the 1st heart surgeon in India who did heart and lung transplantations successfully. Dr.Gokhale did the 1st successful heart transplant, 1st successful lung transplant and 1st successful implantation of ventricular assist device as bridge to recovery of heart in the states of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- Dr.Gokhale did 29 heart transplants and 3 lung transplants and more than 15,000 open heart surgeries – adult as well as pediatric with a success rate of 98.4%.
- Dr.Alla Gopala Krishna Gokhale has pioneered the art of Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery for those needing multiple bypass grafts (key hole bypass surgery), valve replacements and closure of holes in the heart.
Founder Secretary of Heart Failure Society, India, he is promoting the education of heart specialists in managing patients with heart failure. At present President of Indian society for heart and lung transplantations.
Apart from many awards from social and professional bodies, Dr.Gokhale received Padma Shri, the country’s fourth highest civilian award (year 2016)
Established Sahrudaya Health,Medical and Educational Trust, a for non-profit organization and is establishing open heart surgery programme at Government General Hospital, Guntur, his alma matter, on a PPP model with Government of Andhra Pradesh. In that government hospital, nearly 500 open heart surgeries and 3 heart transplantations were doine.
Research and Publications
- Conducting research on the role of injecting stem cells into the heart
- ” Cold Agglutinins and Warm Heart Surgery”- (Letter)Gokhale A.G.K Etal: Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular surgery 105(3):557, 1993 March.
- Carpentier’s Techinique of Repair for Ebstein’s Anomaly ” – Gokhale A.G.K Etal, Indian Heart Journal, 44(1):51-2, 1992 Jan-Feb
- “Cockroach in Right Main Broncus – an Unusual Foreign Body” – Gokhale A.G.K, Rajagopal P; Indian Journal Of Chest Disease and Allied Science, 34(2):103-5,1992 April-June.
- “Non Bacterial Thrombotic Vegetation Mimicking a Left Ventricular Outflow Tract Tumor” – Gokhale A.G.K, Etal; Indian Heart Journal, 45(2):131-2, !993 March-April.
- ” Mitral Valve Replacement For Annular Submitral Aneurysm of the Left Ventricle” – Gokahle A.G.K Etal, Thorax 48(6): 676-7, 1993 June.
- “Evaluation of the autologous bone marrow mononuclear therapy and functional restoration and scarred myocardium by imaging analysis”, J Cardiovasc Dis Res. 2011 Apr;2(2):133-6.
- ” Preliminary Report on immunomodulation of mesenchymalstem cells in M.tb infection. The Internet Journal of Infectious Diseases. 2009 Volume 8 Number 1.
- “Successful Surgical Outcome of infected aneurysmal drug-coated stent endocarditis” publised online 3 October 2013 Asian Cardiovascular and Thoracic Annals.
- CaseReport A Case of Left Main coronary artery disease in a young female with aorto arteritis, Journal of Indian college of Cardiology 2013.
- Alla Gopala Krishna Gokhale, Alla Yamini, Chinta Siddharth Reddy. (2018, February 11). Minimally invasive mitral valve surgery through right anterolateral thoracotomy- review and personal experience. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12055-018-0644-0, Pub Status: Published.
- In Hyderabad, now he is practicing as Cardiothoracic, Transplant and Minimal Access Cardiac Surgeon at Apollo Hospitals, Jubilee hills
- Before that he worked at Yashoda Hospitals, Secunderabad (2012-2015),
- Global Hospitals (2003-2012)
- Medicity Hospitals (1996-2003)
- 1995-1996, he did Fellowship at Barnes-Jewish Hospital, St Louis, USA, with Dr. Nicholas Kouchoukos and gained experience in the areas of redo coronary artery bypass surgery and aortic aneurysm surgeries and root repairs.
- 1993 to 1995 he worked as a Fellow in cardiothoracic surgery at Westmead Hospital, Sydney.
- 1992-93, he did fellowship in Heart Transplantation and Lung Transplantation at St Vincent’s Hospital, Sydney, Australia
- NIMS (1990-92).
- 1990 he was trained in cardiothoracic and vascular surgery at Christian Medical College Hospital, Vellore, and obtained M.Ch and DNB degrees
- (1976–1985) Dr.Alla Gopala Krishna Gokhale obtained his MBBS and MS (General Surgery) from Guntur Medical College, India
Certifications & Professional Memberships
- Life member in Indian Association of Cardiothoracic Surgeons
- Member of CTS Net – forum of cardiothoracic surgeons in the world
- Member of International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation, USA
- Member of Society of Thoracic Surgeons, USA
- Member of European Association of Thoracic Surgeons
- Founder Secretary of Heart Failure Society, India
- Life member of Cardiological Society of India
- Minimally invasive heart surgery (key hole heart surgery) including beating heart surgery
- Minimal access mitral and aortic valve surgeries
- Minimally invasive bypass surgery for multiple bypass grafts, video assisted thoracic surgery and robotics.
- Heart and lung transplantation , Implantation of ventricular assist devices (VADs) and ventricular restoration surgeries