Treadmill Test (TMT) in Hyderabad
Q: What is TMT?
A: Treat Mill Test. The most common way to stress a person’s heart is to have them perform exercise. Walking on a treadmill is most commonly used. For patients who are unable to exercise, intravenous medicines can be given in place of exercise to make the heart work as hard as if the person was running.
The most common way to stress a person’s heart is to have them perform exercise. Walking on a treadmill is most commonly used for patients who are unable to exercise to make the heart work as hard as if the person was running. Stress tests are commonly used tests for initial screening for CAD. These tests are able to detect the presence of flow-limiting blockages in the coronary arteries
, generally in the range of at least a 50% reduction in the diameter of at least one of the three major coronary arteries.
Q: Why is TMT done?
A: MT is done for the following reasons
- To see if an asymptomatic person has silent Coronary artery disease,i.e. blockages or hardening of the arteries of the heart. In many patients, the first manifestation of heart disease is a heart attack or death without any preceding warning symptoms.
- To determine if a person’s symptoms, such as chest discomfort or difficulty in breathing are due to heart disease or some other problem.
- To check whether the treatment given for a patient for blocked arteries is working properly.
- To assess a person’s exercise tolerance before beginning an exercise or cardiac rehabilitation program.
- To determine if exercise causes an abnormal heart rhythm (arrhythmia)
Q: How is the test performed?
A: All stress tests are performed with continuous monitoring of the electrocardiogram (ECG). As the heart works harder, certain characteristic abnormalities can develop in the ECG in patients who have underlying heart disease.
Q: What are the preparations required for a stress Test?
A: The only preparation for a stress test is that you must not eat or drink for the six hours preceding the test. If it is an exercise test, make sure you wear loose fitting comfortable clothes and good running shoes.
High heels don’t work on a treadmill! Your physician may want you to skip some of your usual medications on the day of the test. Be sure to check with your physician about this.
Q: What if I can’t perform an exercise test or am unable to exercise adequately for a TMT?
A: Sometimes you can’t do an exercise test because you’re too sick or have physical problems. In this case, some drugs are given. This drug increases blood flow to the heart and thus “mimics” an exercise test.
Instant Appointment with Cardiologists in Hyderabad
Instant Appointment with Cardiothoracic & Vascular Surgeons in Hyderabad