Gastroenterology & Hepatology
Gastroenterology and Hepatology is the medical speciality concerned with digestive diseases and disease concerning Liver, Gall Bladder and Pancreas. The Department at Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad has a full range of latest Endoscopic facilities including ERCP and its related interventions and is providing round-the-clock service to Gastro-Intestinal Emergencies like blood vomiting, foreign body ingestion and hepatic coma.
The Department also does Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomies for patients with long term swallowing problems such as malignant tumors of head & neck or other neurological problems.
- Endoscopic Management of Chronic Pancreatitis
- 24 hour service for acute bleeds & acute liver failure
- Comprehensive workup in chronic liver diseases leading to liver transplant assessment.
- Serological assessment for Hepatitis A, B, C, D & E
Medical Gastroenterology & Hepatology deals
- Cases of jaundice.
- All kinds of liver disorders (cirrhosis of the liver & its complications).
- Alcoholic Liver Disease.
- All Hepatitis cases (HepA, HepB, HepC, Drug-induced, etc.)
- Gall Bladder Stones, Common Bile duct Stones
- Acute & Chronic Pancreatitis
- All cases of pain abdomen
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Blood Vomiting (Hematemesis)
- Black coloured stools (Malena)
- Blood in stools
- Diarrhea(Acute& Chronic)
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (ulcerative colitis, Crohn’sDisease)
- Peptic Ulcer Disease (Gastritis, Gastric Ulcer, Duodenal Ulcer)
- Gastro oesophagal Reflux Disease (GERD )
- Dyspepsia (upper abdomen discomfort, bloating )
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome ( altered bowel habits )
Indications for Upper GI Endoscopy (Gastroscopy)
- Difficulty in swallowing (Dysphagia).
- GERD (Gastro oesophagal Reflux Disease).
- Upper abdominal discomfort, pain (Dyspepsia).
- Blood Vomiting (Hematemesis).
- Black coloured stools (Malena).
- All cases of liver diseases (for variceal screening).
- Investigation of Iron deficiency anemia.
- Investigation of loss of appetite & loss of weight.
- Investigation of chronic diarrhea
- Biopsies to diagnose H.Pyloriinfection, UGI Malignancies
Indications for Colonoscopy
- Blood in stools
- Investigation of Chronic diarrhea
- Investigation of loss of appetite & loss of weight
- Investigation of altered bowel habits
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn’s Disease)
- In Population with Family History of Colon Cancer (Screening)
Therapeutic Procedures are done by Gastroenterologist
- Achalasia Cardia Balloon Dilatation
- Esophageal Stricture Dilatation
- Esophageal Variceal Ligation (VaricealBanding)
- Injection therapy (Adrenaline) for ulcer bleed
- Hemoclip Application for ulcer bleed
- CRE Balloon Dilatation for Pyloric Stenosis
- ERCP & CBD Stone Removal
- ERCP & CBD Stenting
- ERCP & CBD Stricture Dilatation
- Bile Leak Management
- Foreign Body Removal from Gastrointestinal tract
- EUS Guided FNAC
- EUS Guided Pancreatic Pseudocyst Drainage
Various other Therapeutic procedures can be done by Endoscopy and unnecessary surgeries can be avoided.