World lodine Deficiency Day
Iodine is a micro nutrient which is required for the human growth and development. According to the WHO around 54 countries are iodine deficient. The Iodine deficiency disorders have become a major public health problem worldwide.
The body needs iodine to make thyroid hormones. These hormones control the body’s metabolism and many other important functions. The body also needs thyroid hormones for proper bone and brain development during pregnancy and infancy.
The daily requirement of iodine is 100-150µg/day
Deficiency of Iodine Causes following disorders:
- Enlargement of the thyroid gland- Goitre
- Mental illness: mental retardation, impaired cognitive development in children, brain damage
- Cretinism (stunted physical and mental growth)
- Still birth and spontaneous absorption in pregnant women
- Hyperthyroidism and autoimmune thyroid disease
What is Iodised salt?
Iodised salt (also spelled iodized salt) is table salt mixed with a minute amount of various salts of the element iodine. The ingestion of iodide prevents iodine deficiency.
Foods rich in iodine:
- Cod fish
- Navy beans(White Rajma)
- Tuna Fish
Ms. Swetha Sri,
Apollo Health City,