Who can be a kidney donor?
A patient having Chronic Kidney Disease or End Stage Renal Disease is advised to undergo kidney transplantation. The advantage of transplant over dialysis is kidney transplantation is better in terms of quality of life, longevity of the patient and also cost in the long run
What is kidney Transplantation?
A kidney transplantation is surgically transferring a functioning kidney from a person (called the donor) to another person whose kidneys are not working (called the recipient) is called renal transplantation. Transplant of Kidney from a live donor is called live renal transplantation and kidneys taken from a dead person (who is certified brain dead) is called cadaveric renal transplantation*
Kidney Donor Charasteristics:
- Should have normal kidney functions, no proteinuria and no focus of severe infections in the Genito-urinary tract
- Should have a compatible blood group with the recipient as in blood transfusion
- Should be between 25-60 years of age
- Should have no Hypertension, Diabetes , significant cardiac disease or Lung disease, multiple kidney stones, disseminated cancer
- No Viral infections –HbsAg, HIV,HCV,CMV should be negative
- Should be mentally and physically fit and willing to donate the kidney Donation.