What is Breast Reconstruction?
Breast Reconstruction is a surgery to make a new breast shape after removal of the breast (mastectomy) or removal of some breast tissue (lumpectomy or partial mastectomy)
The main ways of making a new breast shape include
- Removing the whole breast and the skin and then putting in an implant to gradually stretch the remaining skin and muscle
- Removing just the breast tissue, but leaving the skin ,and putting in an implant(a skin sparing mastectomy)
- Reconstruction with your own living tissue taken from another part of your body
- A combination of your own tissue and an implant.
Prior to surgery, the type of procedure planned will be discussed in detail with the patient.
The surgeon aims to create a breast similar in size and shape to your own breast.
What is an Implant?
It is a semi solid substance made of -Saline or silicane gel covered in a strong synthetic coating which is easily acceptable by the body and
is called therapeutic Mammoplasty. The surgeon removes the tumor and an area of surrounding tissue matches the normal remaining breast in size and shape.
When to have breast reconstruction
- Immediate reconstruction -You can have reconstruction at the same time as your breast cancer surgery
- Delayed reconstruction -after completion of cancer treatment
RECONSTRUCTION AFTER CONSERVATIVE SURGERY
- Quadrantectomy and Miniflap Reconstruction-A Quadrantectomy means the surgeon removes about a quarter of the breast tissue. This type of surgery leaves a dent in the breast and means the treated breast ends up smaller than the other breast. But is sometimes possible to get back the shape of the breast by filling the dent with a small area of living tissue. The surgeon usually uses tissue from your back to do this- called a Latissimus Dorsi Flap. You will need radiotherapy to the remaining beast tissue to reduce the risk of the cancer coming back.
- Reshaping the breast -Reshaping may be an option if you need part of your breast removed and you have quite large breasts. It. They then reshape the remaining breast tissue to create a smaller breast. You will need radiotherapy to this remaining breast tissue to reduce the risk of cancer coming back. At the same time as your reconstructive surgery you can also have surgery to make your breast smaller (breast reduction)so that they match in size.
Dr T P S Bhandari,
Apollo Cancer Hospital ,
Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad