Waterborne diseases are caused by microorganisms that most commonly are transmitted in contaminated fresh water. Infection commonly results during washing, drinking, and using contaminated water in preparing food. Microorganisms causing diseases include protozoa, bacteria, virus, many of which are intestinal parasites, or invade the tissues or circulatory system through walls of the digestive tract.
- Symptoms are Characterized by sustained fever up to 40°C (104°F), profuse sweating; diarrhea may occur. Symptoms progress to delirium, and the spleen and liver enlarge if untreated. In this case it can last up to four weeks and cause death. Some people with typhoid fever develop a rash called “rose spots”, small red spots on the abdomen and chest.
- Symptoms are In severe forms it is known to be one of the most rapidly fatal illnesses known. Symptoms include very watery diarrhea, nausea, cramps, nosebleed, rapid pulse, vomiting, and hypovolemic shock (in severe cases), at which point death can occur in 12–18 hours.
- Symptoms are Mostly diarrhea. Can cause death in immunocompromised individuals, the very young, and the elderly due to dehydration from prolonged illness
- Symptoms are Dry mouth, blurred and/or double vision, difficulty swallowing, muscle weakness, difficulty breathing, slurred speech, vomiting and sometimes diarrhea. Death is usually caused by respiratory failure.
- Symptoms are Frequent passage of feces with blood and/or mucus and in some cases vomiting of blood.
- Symptoms are Occurs due to swimming in contaminated water
- Symptoms include fever, myalgia, lethargy, gastrointestinal symptoms, cough, and sore throat
- Symptoms are only acute and include Fatigue, fever, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, weight loss, itching, jaundice and depression.
- Symptoms are Delirium, headache, fever, and occasional seizures, and spastic paralysis, 1% have symptoms of non-paralytic aseptic meningitis. The rest have serious symptoms resulting in paralysis or death
Dr.Pramati reddy, MBBS, MD
Consultant Internal Medicine