Tips to help keep your kidneys healthy
Tips to help keep your kidneys healthy:
1. Cut back on salt. Aim for less than 2,300 milligrams of sodium each
2. Choose foods that are healthy for your heart: fresh fruits, fresh or
frozen vegetables, whole grains, and low-fat dairy foods.
3. Limit your alcohol intake.
4. Be more physically active.
5. Lose weight if you are overweight.
6. If you smoke, take steps to quit. Cigarette smoking can make
kidney damage worse.
7. Keep your blood pressure at the target set by your health care
provider. For most people, the blood pressure target is less than
140/90 mm Hg. This can delay or prevent kidney failure.
8. If you have diabetes, control your blood glucose level.
9. Keep your cholesterol levels in the target range.