Ovarian Cysts –
Ovarian cyst is nothing but enlargement of ovaries due to accumilation of fluid or any other tissue.
– Dull or sharp ache in the abdomen constantly or intermittently
– Nausea vomiting and giddiness
– Dysmenorrhoea (painful periods)
– Larger cysts may cause torsion (twisting) of the ovary that causes
– Cysts that bleed or rupture (burst) may lead to serious problems
requiring prompt treatment.
– Routine pelvic exam
– Ultrasound scan
– Blood tests like CA 125, CEA etc .
Treatment depends on size and type of cyst, age, severity of symptoms, desire for future childbearing, family history of ovarian cancer. Surgical Intervention through Laproscopy, Cystectomy (removal of the abnormal tissues and saving the normal ovarian tissues) oophorectomy (removal of the complete ovary) cytoreduction is recommended if the cyst is symptomatic, growing in size, persisting for more than 6 months without change in size, very large, associated with other conditions like infertility, ascites, cancerous or other findings.