LATEST CHILD DELIVERY METHODS
There are two age old routes of child delivery which everyone is aware of that is either vaginally or abdominally by cesarean section. If you ask me what are the latest child delivery methods? I would say we cant change the routes of delivery but yes there are latest trends in which we can modify the existing delivery patterns to make it more comfortable for the mother as well baby or we can better call it assisted delivery.
What are the different ways of Child Delivery?
- Vaginal Delivery is the most common route of delivery and should be the preferred route of delivery until unless there is an indication for cesarean section.
Benefits of vaginal delivery: Shorter hospital stay, Short recovery time, Less chances of respiratory problems in the newborn
- Forceps delivery is a kind of assisted vaginal delivery in which a spoon shaped instrument is used to deliver the baby head in certain circumstances such as baby is under distress or to cut short the second stage of labour. It’s a kind of operative vaginal delivery. Sometimes in cesarean section also forceps can be used when baby’s head is floating.
- Vacuum Delivery is also a type of instrumental delivery in which a cup (rigid or soft cup) attached to the vacuum is used to apply on baby’s head to guide its delivery through the birth canal. Use of vacuum is almost same as forceps except in cases of preterm babies.
- Cesarean Section is a way of delivering baby abdominally. In this procedure an incision is given on abdomen usually on the lower abdomen and uterus is cut in the lower segment to deliver the baby. After delivery of baby uterus and abdomen is closed in layers. This method of delivery is used for some special conditions where vaginal birth cannot be used as the primary method of delivery such as placenta previa, cephalo-pelvic disproportion or in some cases where vaginal birth is being tried but not possible because of mother or baby’s condition, it can be done as an emergency procedure.
- Vaginal Birth After Cesarean also popularly known as VBAC. This is not a universal method that can be used for all women who had cesarean section rather individualization of cases is needed and whoever fits the criteria for VBAC is allowed vaginal birth after cesarean.
- Painless Labour or epidural analgesia is a way of providing pain relief during labour. An injection is given in epidural space in the back that delivers continuous pain relief to the lower part of the body while you remain fully conscious. It decrease sensation but doesn’t result in total lack of feeling.
Advantages of Epidural Analgesia
- Provides effective pain relief
- Dose, amount and strength of analgesia can be controlled
- Medication does not reach the baby as it has local effect
- You remain awake which helps in pushing in second stage of labour
- In case of emergency, analgesia can be converted to anesthesia for cesarean delivery anytime
- Water Birth in which you experience a part of labor or delivery in warm water. Giving birth under water may be interesting to you as it is less stressful for the mother as well as the baby. It’s easier to move inside water as compared to movements on bed so it may make the labour little less painful as compared to normal labour without water.
Precautions to be taken for water birth
- You should have an experienced health care professional to help you throughout the labour and delivery
- High standards to be maintained to prevent infection
- Make sure the tub is cleaned and well maintained
- You and your baby being monitored properly while in tub
- Water temperature should be well regulated
- Keep drinking water during water birth to prevent dehydration
You should not try water birth if
- You are less than 18 or more than 35 years of age
- You have medical problems such as diabetes, pre-eclampsia
- Baby in breech position
- You need constant monitoring which is not possible in water
- You are having twins or multiple pregnancy
- You have an infection
Whatever methods of assisted deliveries are available, they are to help the mother deliver successfully a healthy baby.
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad