HEART HEALTHY DIET
Healthy diet and lifestyle are the best weapons to fight against cardiovascular disease. It all depends upon on your eating pattern. Make good choices’ in your diet and lifestyle and get long time benefits for your heart. Heart disease affects people of all ages.
These are some of the good and healthy choices in your life style which will keep away you for the cardiovascular diseases and you can lead a healthy life:
- Knowing how many calories you should be eating and drinking to maintain your weight.
- Increase the amount and intensity of your physical activity to match the number of calories you take in.
Regular physical activity and cardiovascular fitness can help you maintain your weight which can solve half of yours cardiac problems , aim for at least 30 minutes of exercise in the day it can be any kind of exercise it can be a yoga, or aerobic etc.
Benefits of Regular Exercise on Cardiovascular Risk Factors
- Increase in exercise tolerance
- Reduction in body weight
- Reduction in blood pressure
- Reduction in bad (LDL and total) cholesterol
- Increase in good (HDL) cholesterol
- Increase in insulin sensitivity
- Add all the food groups in our daily diet like whole fruits, vegetables, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, poultry, fish and nuts, while limiting red meat and sugary foods and beverages.
- Limit foods and beverages high in calories, Also limit canned & preserved foods and limit the sodium content in the diet.
- Read the nutrition label of the food item which you pick up from the supermarkets
- Add a loopful of nuts in your diet mainly almonds and walnuts which are the good sources of HDL (good cholesterol)
- Alcoholic beverages should be taken in moderation.
- Foods that have hypocholesterolmic effects like soyabean, fenugreek, garlic, onion and turmeric should be included in the diet
Department of Clinical Nutrition,
Apollo Health City, Hyderabad