- Food safety begins from farm till the food reaches our plate (i.e) from production, preparation, storing and serving of the food.
- Two most important concerns in food safety are food handling and food adulteration
- Safe food handling helps in preventing entry of pathogenic organisms into the food which could lead to typhoid, paratyphoid, bacillary and amoebic dysentery.
- Food adulteration is where the quality or the given nature of the food substance is reduced either through addition of a foreign substance or removal of a vital element
- Food adulteration could lead to health hazards like gastro intestinal disturbances, muscular paralysis, convulsions etc depending upon the adulterants like metallic or physical substances like sand or animal filth.
- Toxic colors like lead chromate, metanil yellow, rhodamine B etc in excess could lead to abnormalities of eyes, bone, skin, lungs, ovaries, testis etc,
- Public awareness and education could help in preventing unhygienic practices of food handling either at home or food service industries.
- Resistance to use of adulterated food products by the consumers will help in improvising the quality of the food by food service industries.
- Food safety measures helps in providing safe and healthy food for healthier nation
Ms. Sowmya K
M. Sc (nutn), R.D., C.D.E,
Regional Manager- Dietetics,
Apollo Sugar Clinics