This type of cancer is a #cancer of the cells that make up the bones of your body. When this cancer is found in bones, it has usually started in other another location in the body and has spread to the bones. This process will originate a phenomenon that is known as metastatic cancer of the bones.
The 3 most Common types of primary bone cancer are the following:
• Osteosarcoma- This type of cancer arises from osteoid tissue in the bone. Most of the times this tumor occurs in the knee and upper arm;
• Chondrosarcoma- This type of cancer normally begins in cartilaginous tissue. Cartilage pads the ends of bones and lines the joints. Chondrosarcoma occurs most often in the pelvis (located between the hip bones), upper leg, and shoulder. Sometimes a chondrosarcoma contains cancerous bone cells. In that case, doctors classify the tumor as an osteosarcoma.
• Ewing’s Sarcoma – This type of cancer most commonly occurs between 5 and 20 years of age. The most common locations are the upper and lower leg, pelvis, upper arm, and ribs
How is bone cancer diagnosed? Take a look!
• X-rays – This method can show the location, size, and shape of a bone tumor. If this exam suggests that something is wrong, the doctor will recommend special imaging tests.
• A bone scan – During this test a small amount of radioactive material is injected into a blood vessel and travels through the bloodstream; it then collects in the bones and is detected by a scanner.
• A computed tomography (CT or CAT) scan, which is a series of detailed pictures of areas inside the body, taken from different angles, that are created by a computer linked to an x-ray machine.
• A magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)- During this procedure its used a powerful magnet linked to a computer to create detailed pictures of areas inside the body.
• Biopsy – During this test will be removed a tissue sample from the bone tumor to determine whether cancer is present.
Some symptoms of bone cancer
• Bone pain
• Swelling and tenderness near the affected area
• Broken bone
• Unintended weight loss
Dr. Vijay Anand Reddy
Director Of Apollo Cancer Hospital
Apollo Health City